Thread: Balloon rigging

Default Balloon rigging

A couple of people we're interested in how to attach the balloon to the line so i made a video to help out. In the first step i do 5 wraps. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=HRdDaOmnyo8

Hope it helps someone out! It's the little things we take for granted!

Default Lights, camera action, what no assistant?

Flatsfish B:

Good video example. That is exactly the way I do it too. I just keep in mind to put your fingers in from the bottom, not the top.

To bad you could not have some sexy assistant in Bikini to help you stimulate a tight line with the weight on it.

Good content but we will have to give you a B rating for that Movie.

Keep up the good work.

Once you've rounded up your assistant, could you do a movie to show how to rig a large squid with tandem hooks?

Where was Mrs. Flatsfish B when you were doing that?!!

Yes, those little things like that can be important!
    "Put your buoys out... we're comin' in HOT!"

Hooked Up

I use long line clips with a small amount of leader material crimped in a circle at the end. I tie the balloon right to the circle of heavy mono and when a fish comes up I unsnap the clip (and the balloon if it is still there). This makes rigging easier, faster and I don't get the knotted up balloon or rubber band ends that get caught in the guides. I can then reuse these clips going forward...DUKE )

question duke...

A long line clip slides fairly easy, how do you keep it from sliding with all that weight? So far every time the balloon breaks the way i wrap it the rubber band falls completly off. So with your rig with happens if the fish sounds, the balloon it self breaks?

Hooked Up

The balloon does break if the fish sounds although I have gotten the balloon and light back as well as the fish stayed up.
    I pre mark my lines for the targeted depth with wax line tie ins. I hook the clip to these to eliminate sliding and ensure the desired depth. Works very well and clean...DUKE

Hooked Up

Thanks Flatfish -- RT did the same ballon rig for our team on Final Point sat night.
    The Hailey Ryan

Grunt

Default Ballon with clove hitch

I only have 50w outfits with mono. I try to connect my weight and ballon to the line without doing much dammage to my line. For the ballon I use a Line Counter for my depth. Then with an already tied ballon I make a clove hitch in the line and put the ballon into the loop between the knot and the end of the ballon. When a fish is on and the line is tight the clove hitch goes through the ballon and your line is straight. It has worked for me so far with no flaws. Just don't get your finger in the clove hitch and then a fish hits it, probably dosen't feel very good. Works with dacron also.

Barry nice vid. This is why I like this forum so much. Everyone tries to help each other and pass on their knowledge. I use preset line marks with loop of wax line tight against main line. To attach ballon I use 8lb mono tied to ballon run through wax line loop tie back on to balloon. Nothing to go through guides left on line. When reeled to tip 8lb breaks easy.No snaps to worry about or rubber band stuck in guides.Catch em up guys
    Amagansett means “place of good water” in one American Indian tongue, and for generations of Lesters who have lived here, it’s been true in the most literal way.

You have to be careful that the clove hitch doesn't make a kink in your mainline. That would become a weak point.

I usually tie loops with dental tape or waxed line on my mainline and connect the LLclips with balloon to the waxed line. That way no stress on the mainline and no slippage either.

Before you blow up the balloon, slip the end through the hole in the swivel on the LL clip and then blow it up and tie the know in the balloon around the hole in the swivel.

Now when the line comes in for a fish or bait check, just unsnap the LL clip and balloon from the dental tape and hook it somewhere in the cockpit until you let the line out again. Makes it a lot easier to check the baits as often as we should.

Tight lines,

Capt. Art

I like marking my lines & providing a point to attach floats like this-
    I splice in a section of dacron into my mainline. I have modified it since the picture, and now splice in a section of "green spot" dacron. No line counters, stress on my mainline, easy & consistant.

Talking Five Wrap Shuffle

Barry,
    First off Nice job on the Video . Second?
    No floats ? Or are you using the rubberband to attach your floats. ( noodles )
    Or have you decided you just prefer the balloons. Curious. I learned the
    Five wrap from Hunter, and now attach my LLclip @ the base of my noodle to the band, seems to work.
    Definately prefer the noodles to the baloons. Either way the five wrap is a smooth trick for attaching leads as well. Thanks for sharin
    Happy NewBeer,
    Butch
    right thumb on the spool, left hand flips the lever

DF, that was an old thread, but i did it just to help. I only use floats

Hey Steve:

Thanks for the reminder on dacron loops. That's how I used to do my blue marlin rods for the rigger clips.

I'll have to stop being lazy and redo my sword rods this way also.

Happy New Year,

Capt. Art

Thanks, man, I used to do the clove hitch and broke a line like that. I like the dacron loops too. Catch em up!
    Dave O.

Nice Barry.

The way I get around damaging the main line is using 150 lb test. It was hell on the rod holders till I got them squared away.
    What do you mean I'm not kind? I'm just not your kind.

150lb test. hahaha That's like a 600yd wind-on.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...

Talking Floats fer flatsfish

Quote Originally Posted by Flatsfish B View Post
    DF, that was an old thread, but i did it just to help. I only use floats
    Right on Brother. I figured after the numbers you were rackin up in nov you were long past the baloons. Still was a good deed. Before I learned that trick I was strugglin
    right thumb on the spool, left hand flips the lever

Normally i use jugs to rig but if I had to use balloons it would be on the Dacron Loops. Once I tried it on the snap swivel itself but that didnt last very long. Busted pretty fast. Ya live ya learn
    Rocc

Default Alternative to balloons!

Just wanted to share with everyone a revolutionary new release float that's far better for fisherman and the environment than balloons. It's a float you can put on your line in seconds and keeps your bait and weight at the depth you want with a rubber washer system. When you set the hook it releases from the rubber stops and stays attached to the line by a simple snap clip so you fight the fish not the tackle. Check out the shark page at Redi Rig - Shark.

Best of luck out there!
    Last edited by RedRig; 03-17-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Default try floaties with LP clips..

attach them to wax line hangers on the line.. you can add 100, 200, 300 or 400' hangers on each rod..

this is simple they don't slide and are easy to take off..

ballons or rubber bands will hurt your mono line from the rocking of the ocean and the 16oz - 32oz. weight hanging from it..

it tightens and releases every wave... your lucky to have someone tell you that just the same as someone told me long ago marlin fishing.. riggers and the weight of the bait swimming or skipping can part 80lb - 100lb mono real quick by using rubber bands on your line..

I use a wax line hanger and rubber bands on my weights also.. they tear up wax line also and it sucks to pop the 64's when it's cold..

if you use floaties pop a water bottle (without the plastic wrapper on the bottle) and stick a cylume in it and shove the lid side ..top side down in the floatie hole .. you can re-use it all night long and if you get a bite.. it starts moving , falls over or goes under I like the goes under bite myself!

here are two floaties that were made the same day ..

the one without any color or mass went down an estimated 900'..

I love fishing!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information