Thread: smoked sailfish

Thumbs up smoked sailfish

Went out today looking for a smoker to make holiday fishdip. Seas were 3-5. Sails were thick off boynton. Went 5/8 on kite runners in 140-110'. Took one home 71", a king and two small dodo's joined the holiday box. Smoke is rolling through the hood as we speak .
    right thumb on the spool, left hand flips the lever

Nice! Sounds like the bite is def better to the north.

Can't wait to hear what people have to say on this thread lol... post it on FS
    "Put your buoys out... we're comin' in HOT!"

Congrats on a great day! Runners have not been hot for us the past few trips, considering I have a pen full of them, it's nice to know they are finally getting bites.

Personally, I don't have a problem with someone taking a sailfish - or any fish for that matter - as long as they use it for food or bait. Those idiots on the other forum that seem to think a single fish will devastate the species and anyone taking a sail or marlin (or big or small swordfish) should be whipped are just that - idiots. Frankly, I think a lot of them have a herd mentality and if one person bashes something, they better bash it too or else someone may think they condone it. As if some anonymous Joe Schmoe's online opinion should actually matter. Yeah, I realize the irony of that statement being made online.

I always look forward to smoking a sailfish every year. I wait for one that is gut hooked and bleeding. If it's a decent fish I get a years worth of dinner party munchies. In fact, I might take one today

Very nice, sounds like we should have gone further north...
    Charters Available for Swordfish, Sailfish, Bahamas trips, and more
    http://www.MarauderOne.com
    561-414-0483

I try and release them but if they get tore up I got no problem rolling one up.

But do your self a favor and clean it quick after you get in.No matter what the health of the fish was some azz will give you a dirty look.I saw a guy bring in a sail at the Boynton ramp a few years ago.It had a huge shark bite on its stomach.A shark tagged it right after the guy released it.It then came up dead with the shark swimming around it.The guy pulled up to it gaffed it and put it in the boat to smoke it.He gets back and makes the mistake of letting his buddy pull it up for some pics.Next thing you know people start yelling across the parking lot about how he is an ass ole for killing a sail.Not one guy but at least 5 said the same thing to him.The guy did not say anything and was looking to get the hell out of there before it got worse.

Being the quite introverted guy I am I just had to get involved.So needed less to say 4 of the 5 guys and there friends that were yelling had never even caught a sailfish.The 1 guy that had got one a few years ago on a charter.I asked if we killed it and we said yes but only because he wanted a mount and the crew said it had to die for a mount.Needless to say they all walked away with an education about sailfish that day.
    Last edited by quack quack; 12-19-2007 at 09:29 AM.
    Amagansett means “place of good water” in one American Indian tongue, and for generations of Lesters who have lived here, it’s been true in the most literal way.

Cool smokem sparingly

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder1 View Post
    Very nice, sounds like we should have gone further north...
    We fished bynton inlet north to the pier. Was a nice break in 120, that the fish seemed to be on. By the way, I'm not advising the wreckless slaughter of sailfish......on the contrary. They are far too valuable to the tourism/charter fishing kitty. I have killed 7 in a lifetime, and all were put to good use

Green Swordfish

I agree I haven't killed one myself but maybe one day I'll take one home to eat since never had one smoked but that would be probably myfirst and last time I would do that. They are beautiful fish and they give us anglers a good time when hooked up. I know people in the keys who kill them constantly and I don't fish with those people because I'm not in agreement with that. I can see you want to take one home or mount it fine but to kill them just because you want to I don't agree.

If the fish is certainly going to die & of legal size, I have NO problem keeping it. Too many crews are reluctant to bring one in as it may hurt their "dock status" and would rather it be "recycled" by the oceans critters.

Smoked sail is pretty awesome but grilled sail is OUTSTANDING. Sort of a mix between a tuna & wahoo in flavor.

I had some last night. It was delicious. Makes great dip too.

Very Nice Butch save me some for the next time we fish together I have not had Sailfish in about two years, and I have a few buds that have been smoken the swordfish lately and that is incredible straight off the smoker
    Better to be lucky than good
    http://www.jdscustombaits.com/

Lines In

Anyone care to share a recipe?

You can pm me if you don't want to post it.

I haven't killed one and am not planning on it, but if a gut hook happens and a fish looks pretty bad......well, he may get fried up.

Lightbulb dirtyfoot dip

there is a really thorough one posted in the fish recipe section. My technique is purdy simple. I soak the filets in italian dressing or mojo. Season w/ lemon pepper and dill weed. I smoke it over charcoal and hickory, slooooow. Then mix it up w/ a 60/30 sour cream and mayo blend. Fresh garlic, minced green onion, salt and pepper. Put it on a cracker squeeze a lemon, eat, and chase w/ a cold one

Lines In

Thanks Dirty. That should work with Blackfin and AJ too right?

Oh my god, oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe you killed it.

How was that Nick?
    What do you mean I'm not kind? I'm just not your kind.

What color was the meat? Some get pretty orangey that rivals pumpkiny sword meat. Sailfish sashimi is some of the best.
    UFCroft

.: Fish Mercenary :.

no orange here, just slabs o' grey. Course there had been some drinking etc..........

The one I ate was orange. Good stuff!

OI812
    Amagansett means “place of good water” in one American Indian tongue, and for generations of Lesters who have lived here, it’s been true in the most literal way.

Hooked Up

I've been releasing them all but think I may take one next month. I'm afraid the sashimi might suffer by comparison for me since we've been in HNL for about 5 weeks. I'm game to try it though. Nothing wrong with keeping one once in a blue moon. Let the extremists choke! Enjoy the bounty in a conservative manner.

And by the way, Merry Christmas to all!
    Reel T

I hate killing sailfish and will avoid it at all costs... personally. However, I agree. especially if the fish is gut hooked and bleeding. A dead sailfish in the water is no different than a dead sailfish in the smoker. The key is don't kill them too often. None of you guys even barely suggest that so anyone with a brain has no right accuse you of harm.

Thread Information