Saltwater Fishing Forums
Deep Sea Fishing Fishing Pictures Fishing Articles Fishing Charters Fishing Store
Marine Bean Bags Marlin Lures RJ Boyle Studios
Go Back   SFC Fishing Forums > Regional Saltwater Fishing Reports > Carribean

Carribean Bahamas, Jamaica, Venezuela, and Caribean Islands

Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Thymallus
Grunt

Default Curacao Countdown

Hi Folks,
this is my first post to the group so, greetings from the snowy north.

I am heading for Curacao for a few days this week for meetings but I really, desperately need to put a bend in the fishing rod. I have read all I could find about fishing in Curacao but it is pretty scarce... what I have seen looks great though with some self-guided guys chasing tarpon and snook. There are also look to be a few charter boats. I would love to chase around the island with my fly rod for some snook and baby tarpon so if anyone has any advice then let me know! Anything you have is appreciated... are there tackle shops? What about just casting off the beach? Any hot spots in particular? Where is the best place to have a beer???

Hoping for a screamin' reel really soon.
Bruce.
Thymallus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Thymallus
Grunt

Got in to Curacao yesterday but my bags did not. That finally got sorted out this morning. Saw what looked like a few tarpon last night in a back bay which I will chase tonight. Man... it sure knows how to blow here. Steady 25 knots most of the day. It is going to be hard to lay out much line in this blow.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
DonK
Grander

Boat: "the Fish-Tank (A2)", 1979 Mako 236 inboard
Best Catch: 395# Broadbill
Send a message via MSN to DonK

Good luck down there! And watch out for "Snoek" on the menus.....it's really "Spotted Wahoo"
Old 01-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
ameristrat
Grander

Boat: Grady White Sailfish 28
Best Catch: Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Sailfish, Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymallus View Post
Got in to Curacao yesterday but my bags did not. That finally got sorted out this morning. Saw what looked like a few tarpon last night in a back bay which I will chase tonight. Man... it sure knows how to blow here. Steady 25 knots most of the day. It is going to be hard to lay out much line in this blow.
Did you fly American? They always give us trouble with bags.
Tight Lines down there!
Cause' we're never gonna win this war."
ameristrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Thymallus
Grunt

You are right, I flew American Airlines. Not only did they loose my luggage and another fellow but they were not particularly helpful about it... I think they have lost so much luggage that the love is gone ;-)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
ameristrat
Grander

Boat: Grady White Sailfish 28
Best Catch: Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Sailfish, Swordfish

I was half-kidding, but that's sad that it actually was American. I wonder what their deal is?
Cause' we're never gonna win this war."
ameristrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Thymallus
Grunt

just finished up my few days of fishing on the beaches and shores of Curacao. I have to say when it blows it sucks on Curacao. I fished hard a few days and ended up with a tiny barracuda and three snook. Even the local fisherman complained of the wind and they were using regular gear. I expected small jacks at the beaches and a few things like that but really did not get any of that. I found some beautiful mangroves and flats on the east side of the island where the kite surfers hang out (Koral Tabak area) and it sure looked good but nothing.

I did hear of and see tarpon in the bays around the huge refinery in the middle of town but it was a nasty, nasty place to fish.

The final night I went back to the spot where I saw a few swirls of what I thought might be snook or tarpon giving bait a hard time. I did manage to get two snook and lost a good sized one on a small white fly the use for snook under the lights in Florida.

I hope anyone else who goes will do a lot better.