Saltwater Fishing Forums
Deep Sea Fishing Fishing Pictures Fishing Articles Fishing Charters Fishing Store
Marine Bean Bags become a fishing guide RJ Boyle Studios
Go Back   SFC Fishing Forums > Saltwater Fishing > Offshore Saltwater Angler > Shark Fishing

Shark Fishing Discussion of Shark Fishing.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
bajakian
Grander

Boat: 39 Sea Vee Open-Fish Magnet
Best Catch: 300 lb Yellow fin Tuna, Blue Marlin 240 lbs on 30 lb test, 423 lb Swordfish
Default shark jaws

anybody have any idea on how to clean and preserve a fresh Mako shark jaw so that it can be wall mounted? I got a 150 lber last week and want to do it right. Help please!!!

I used to do drugs. I still do drugs. But I used to, too.
Mitch Hedberg

I have a king size bed. I don't know any kings, but I guess if one came over, he'd be comfortable. "Oh, you're a king, you say? Well you won't believe what I have in store for you! It is to your exact specifications! When I was young I had a twin bed. I always wondered what happened to my brother.
Mitch Hedberg
bajakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
OldBigBucks
Hooked Up

Boat: 25 Maycraft

give geno a call to see if he knows how to get a hold of carl edwards, who used to have the process down pat.
OldBigBucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
DonK
Grander

Boat: "the Fish-Tank (A2)", 1979 Mako 236 inboard
Best Catch: 395# Broadbill
Send a message via MSN to DonK

Try running it through a some kind of large magnetic field......

nice catch Doc!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
GRSC
Hooked Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBigBucks View Post
give geno a call to see if he knows how to get a hold of carl edwards, who used to have the process down pat.

He was just down on the Two George's dock a couple weeks ago - I could probably get his number from Carl on Miller Time if you like.
GRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
catching
Grander

Best Catch: Swordfish 362 pounds

try Cap Ken

catching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
monoxide
Grunt

use a sharp knife and cut it out of the head and cut away all the meat you can. then once u have it mostly clean place it on a ant hill with a bucket and a large weight on top of the bucket leave it for a few days and it will be clean.
monoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
saw1665
Lines In

Best Catch: 950 lb Mako

Cut most of the meat away that u can with dull knife. Scrape all u can. Soak in a bucket of water mixed with hydrogen peroxide and little bleach. then re -scrape. After I got them clean i shape them with wire coat hanger and put in oven at 300 degrees for hr or so.

I learnt from the late great Capt Frank Mundus , do not boil, no ant piles or crabs. My way is the best way trust me. Will be clean and less fishy smell.

Scott
saw1665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
reefraider17
Lines In

cut away all the meat that you can no matter how long it takes. its worth it. then tac it onto a board in the sun in the position you want it in. the sun will dry and whiten it. No chemicals, ants, water, or other time consuming ideas. This works the best.
reefraider17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
TTesterman
Grander

Default Doc, saw has it right!

an exato kit works great to cut away stuff. be careful on the jaw hinge don't cut away too much. cool set for the cave wall?
TTesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
bajakian
Grander

Boat: 39 Sea Vee Open-Fish Magnet
Best Catch: 300 lb Yellow fin Tuna, Blue Marlin 240 lbs on 30 lb test, 423 lb Swordfish

Nice to get all this information. I was going to send them to a place in Oklahoma, Skulls Unlimited but they re still in my freezer. Maybe I will do it myself and save some dough. I was just afraid to screw it up-you dont get a nice set set of jaws everyday. Last set I had my buddy tried to do and they fell apart stinking. These are too nice to waste.

I used to do drugs. I still do drugs. But I used to, too.
Mitch Hedberg

I have a king size bed. I don't know any kings, but I guess if one came over, he'd be comfortable. "Oh, you're a king, you say? Well you won't believe what I have in store for you! It is to your exact specifications! When I was young I had a twin bed. I always wondered what happened to my brother.
Mitch Hedberg
bajakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
2tofly
Hooked Up

Boat: Avanti 25

Did several when I was 11 years old with the hydrogen peroxide method. They are still around today.
Remove carefully from the head and as mentioned before take care to preserve the hinges. Once out I used an exacto knife to carefully remove as much tissue as possible. Take care not to inflict a nasty bite on yourself, those teeth (especially Mako) still work! There is a membrane covering the spare teeth that's a little tough to get out but looks much better when removed.
I then soaked overnight in a fairly strong solution of water and hydrogen peroxide in fact it foamed while soaking. Take out and go over again removing what tissue you can.
Never tried the oven to dry them out but sounds like it should work although 300 sounds somewhat warm (don't think you want to cook them but what do I know). I shaped mine with a couple of pieces of wood and let dry in the sun. Came out nice and bleached with no smell.

Good luck
Mark
2tofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
Pipe Dream
Lines In

Boat: jon boat
Best Catch: crabs

For museum grade quality....Skulls Unlimited by far.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
bigzee20
Lines In

Boat: 19' Cobia 115 Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tofly View Post
Did several when I was 11 years old with the hydrogen peroxide method. They are still around today.
Remove carefully from the head and as mentioned before take care to preserve the hinges. Once out I used an exacto knife to carefully remove as much tissue as possible. Take care not to inflict a nasty bite on yourself, those teeth (especially Mako) still work! There is a membrane covering the spare teeth that's a little tough to get out but looks much better when removed.
I then soaked overnight in a fairly strong solution of water and hydrogen peroxide in fact it foamed while soaking. Take out and go over again removing what tissue you can.
Never tried the oven to dry them out but sounds like it should work although 300 sounds somewhat warm (don't think you want to cook them but what do I know). I shaped mine with a couple of pieces of wood and let dry in the sun. Came out nice and bleached with no smell.

Good luck
Mark
This is by far the best way Try to get a hold of 100% hydrogen peroxide and let that baby soak one night in it. We had this stuff in the lab at school and it would eat up a whole rat in less than one hour
bigzee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
ceejay77
Grunt

Best Catch: blue whaler-20 kg

I have tried a couple of times myslf with shark jaws myself with no success my father has a container of peroxide so will give that a try next time, thanks for the tip
Old 12-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #15
Keith Poe
Hooked Up

Boat: 24' SkipJack
Best Catch: So Cal Predator Stalker

When it comes to curing swordfish bills I will ask at SFC and asking guys from So Cal about Mako jaws might be the way to go.

There is a room at Global taxidermy full of shark jaws might want to talk to Ian.

Most of the stuff above is good and there are a few don'ts and one thing was not mentioned.

Cut them out clean them up with gloves on and you can toss them to the ants for a short while but best off leave the bleach alone and never boil them.

The secret is Borax, it dissolves the meat with a stiff tooth brush.

Do not make the Borax to strong.

Some guys like a 50 50 mix borax and peroxide but the peroxide is really for whitening after the meat is gone to whiten the cartilage.

No sense whitening the meat save the peroxide for the cartilage.

Soak the entire jaws in a solution of Borax and keep an eye on the jaws several times a day work on the with a brush then after you get a feel for the pace to brush away meat as it dissolves and rinsing away do it as often as you have time and is ready to take another layer off.

After you are done removing meat and the jaws are clean if you did not use the peroxide already then put the entire jaws in a solution submerged for one to two days depending on your preference then rinse them well and shape them with sticks what ever and let them dry out and can use a heat gun to speed he process up a little.

Hope this helps and if you do decide to use the ants keep the jaws moist so the ants can easily chew the meat off and eat it but do not bury them.

Burying them will cause rotting and staining.

A little trivia for you guys, male Makos start reproducing at about 7' 200 pounds and females about 8'6" 350 pounds and only reproduce every other year giveing live birth about 5 pounds each pup right at 25-27".

She will start off with a few at first and increase littler sizes as she grows to accommodate them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01831.jpg (48.5 KB, 141 views)

Salmon Sharks Alaska, Marlin Cabo, Florida Swordfish & So Cal Threshers, Makos & Swordfish.

www.SharkTagger.com

Redondo Beach Ca 90278
Po box 2285

310 562-6205

Last edited by Keith Poe; 12-19-2010 at 05:24 AM..
Keith Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
wannabefishin
Grunt

Boat: hydra sports 2796 vector 250 etecs

i've had luck cutting away as much meat as possible and then using a piece of wire to tie it to the doc and dropping it to the bottom right at my slip. the crabs take care of the rest and leave you with just the jaws. ****dont use any kind of rope or string, it will fray and get torn apart. make sure you use wire****
wannabefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
Keith Poe
Hooked Up

Boat: 24' SkipJack
Best Catch: So Cal Predator Stalker

Mako Jaws So Cal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0010.jpg (66.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg scan0019.jpg (45.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01831.jpg (48.5 KB, 107 views)

Salmon Sharks Alaska, Marlin Cabo, Florida Swordfish & So Cal Threshers, Makos & Swordfish.

www.SharkTagger.com

Redondo Beach Ca 90278
Po box 2285

310 562-6205
Keith Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #18
austin34
Grunt

The use of knife is better idea for cleaning the jaws of sharks. But it can be a little
dangerous so it requires lots of care in this process.