Saltwater Fishing Forums
Deep Sea Fishing Fishing Pictures Fishing Articles Fishing Charters Fishing Store
Marine Bean Bags Marlin Lures RJ Boyle Studios
Go Back   SFC Fishing Forums > Fishing Forums > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself to the SFC community.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
BrianMaguire
Grunt

Boat: Deck hand on buddies 48' Viking
Best Catch: 10 lb Winter Steelhead
Default Newb member from Oregon - home to the next great Swordfish fishery!

New member here, I sincerely appreciate the great knowledge on this forum and the free flowing of information.
I live in Portland, OR, we fish out of Ilwaco, WA, mostly for Albacore tuna, which we utterly slay. It's a superb fishery, your limit is how much ice you can carry, and how many deck hands you can have before you wear them out. Our record was 59 fish in a day, 98 in two days, average 25 lbs, and we literally just motored out of a wide open bites, 8 seconds to hook up deal, because we were full to the brim. This was a 35' Bertram but my good friend just traded that for a 48' Viking, so who knows what carnage will ensue next year.

I am sincerely interested in sword fishing, we believe we may have a sword fishing fishery off the coast or Oregon, but no one out here fishes for them. Most people have enough with the great salmon fishery to not worry about big pelagic fish. Heck our Tuna fishery is superb and there is not much participation in it. Swords are caught off of Oregon by tuna fisherman, and way out by long liners but are considered a by-catch. Because they are caught, but not targeted, we think there may be a great sport fishing fishery, essentially untapped. That is why I joined, I want to learn what I can so we can go after them and maybe start an entirely new sport fishing fishery. Personally I am an utter newb to big Pelagics, we do great with Albacore, Chinook, coho, my new passion coastal stream winter steelhead, but frankly I may as well be a third grader with swordfish. So please forgive me in advanced if I ask totally stupid questions, it is because I frankly don't know. I am a quick learner, and get the concepts fast, but there are going to be things I just don't know. I would rather be upfront about my ignorance than pretend like I know what you are talking about, when I really don't.

Cheers from Oregon.

BTW - Here is albacore fishing off the old 35' Bertram Shake'n'bake enjoy
Gaff cam - that is me in the opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYO005nv87Y

97 LB OPAH My buddy Dave (Teton) caught on the Shake'n'bake - BTW we were tuna fishing, if your wife gave you a "peach" colored shirt, where would you wear it? - exactly -tuna fishing, knowing that would be the only day that shirt would ever be worn because it would be blood stained and smell like a cats wet dream forever. We gave him hell but his logic prevailed - personally I still would not have worn it

BTW - This would be a line class record but IFGA does not recognize line class records for Opah because they are so rare. This was taken on 30lb test.

Last edited by BrianMaguire; 02-26-2012 at 02:49 AM..
BrianMaguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
conchydong
Hooked Up

Welcome to the forum. Very nice catches especially the Opah .
Opah are cool fish and I hear they are pretty good eating also. Would have never guessed they strayed that far north, even in a warm water year.
conchydong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
GT Fish
Hooked Up

Boat: 25 Competition
Send a message via AIM to GT Fish

Very cool! That Opah is a beast!
GT Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
BrianMaguire
Grunt

Boat: Deck hand on buddies 48' Viking
Best Catch: 10 lb Winter Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchydong View Post
Welcome to the forum. Very nice catches especially the Opah .
Opah are cool fish and I hear they are pretty good eating also. Would have never guessed they strayed that far north, even in a warm water year.
It was a freak catching it and I heard it was very good. We fish at 46 Deg north, most of Nova Scotia is south of 46 deg north. There are other pelagic fish caught as well, Mahi, Bluefin, and yellow tail are not unheard of, but are rare.
BrianMaguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Disco Lady
Grander

Boat: 37 Merritt
Best Catch: (Blue Marlin)550 lb BVI (North Drop)

COŅO!!!! Beast OPAH guys!
Welcome to the forum.

DL

Get Tight Sucka's!!!!!!
Disco Lady is offline   Reply With Quote