Saltwater Fishing Forums
Deep Sea Fishing Fishing Pictures Fishing Articles Fishing Charters Fishing Store
Marine Bean Bags become a fishing guide RJ Boyle Studios
Go Back   SFC Fishing Forums > Saltwater Fishing > Offshore Saltwater Angler > Kingfish Fishing

Kingfish Fishing Discussion of Kingfish Fishing. World Record: King Mackeral - 90lbs; Cero Mackeral ; 17.2lbs; Spanish Mackeral - 13.0lbs

Old 07-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
maxearing
Lines In

Default how to set up a trolley rig

i have looked every where and i cant find how to set one of these up... if some one can give me instructions or pics that would be cool.
thanx
max
maxearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
conchydong
Hooked Up

If it is what I am thinking of, they were used typically for pier fishing. You take a appropriate size sinker and tie it on to your main line and cast it out as far as you can. You than take your leader with live bait and tie it to the ringed side of a snap swivel and clip the snap over your main line and let the rig "slide" down the main line.

This allows you to generally cast out further than if you were trying to cast the bait only. the bait will generally swim toward the sinker.

Someone else may know of a different rig but that is the one I am thinking of.
conchydong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
frogfish
Hooked Up

Best Catch: 224 lb Bluefin

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchydong View Post
If it is what I am thinking of, they were used typically for pier fishing. You take a appropriate size sinker and tie it on to your main line and cast it out as far as you can. You than take your leader with live bait and tie it to the ringed side of a snap swivel and clip the snap over your main line and let the rig "slide" down the main line.

This allows you to generally cast out further than if you were trying to cast the bait only. the bait will generally swim toward the sinker.

Someone else may know of a different rig but that is the one I am thinking of.
That's the rig thats popular off florida piers. In NC, we use a 2 rod rig. One rod is the anchor rod, where we sling out a big spider weight as far as you can. The second rod is the fighting rod, and this is attached to the anchor rod via a clothespin, so that when you have a fish hit, you can give a jerk and the line pops free of the anchor rod
frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
maxearing
Lines In

can some one show me a picture of the close pin attached at the lines and how the rig is set up.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
maxearing
Lines In

can any one tell me how to do this
Old 07-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
maxearing
Lines In

NM i found this cool thing on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Trolley-Rig-Re...item4cf02f1002
Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
carolina kinger
Grunt

Cool

The clothes pin is the old way. All you need to do is take some 140 lbs. wire about 12 inches long. Thread it thru the closed end of a snap swivel then boend the wire in half. I slide a couple of beads onto it and run them tight against the swivel. Next put your desired egg weight on and a couple more beads. The last thing needed is to crimp a crimp onto the 2 wires, if you don't when you get that explosive hit and run you will have no more breakaway left. I attatch the secure end of the release to my fighting line thus wonly having a swivel slide down the anchor line,so if you do break off the anchor you don't loose all your releases.

Hope this helps.
carolina kinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
TOPPDAWG
Hooked Up

Boat: YOURS
Best Catch: 600LB DAYTIMER, 3 DOUBLES ONE DAY

I havent pier fished in years!!!! Love this post! I would just first put a small swivel on your line so it will slide, then tie on your weight to the end of the line----so the swivel can slide. To the end of the sliding swivel attach your live bait rig w bait. This will let your bait swim anywhere it wants to in the water column. You can also use a sinker w wire on it act as a kind of anchor in the sand.---------also, whatcha know bout flying a kite off deerfield pier on a west wind? Lots of line and lots of clips!!!!!!!!!
TOPPDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
NightCrawler
Grander

Boat: fishing
Send a message via AIM to NightCrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfish View Post
In NC, we use a 2 rod rig. One rod is the anchor rod, where we sling out a big spider weight as far as you can. The second rod is the fighting rod, and this is attached to the anchor rod via a clothespin, so that when you have a fish hit, you can give a jerk and the line pops free of the anchor rod
The 2 rod setup is what I used when I pier fished when I lived in SC.
The 2 rod setup enables you to control the baitfish and force a topwater
presentation, pretty much like kite fishing. Very exciting whatching a smoker
king sky on your bait.
NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote